How To Avoid Home Fires Caused From A Toaster
If you smell smoke, or other strange odors from your toaster, it could be an indication that there is an imminent toaster fire. Are toasters safe? If not properly maintained, your toaster can cause serious fire hazards. Toaster fires and electrocutions are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people each year. Mismanagement of your toaster can often cause fires. We will discuss what to do if your oven catches fire and other tips to prevent it from ever happening again.
Toasters are a fire hazard?
Toasters can be dangerous because they generate heat. This could lead to fires. Toasters can also be placed near other appliances, which can cause a fire. This is especially true because some toasters will stay on even when the toaster lifter has been turned off. The fire expands quickly when it is close to other appliances.
There are steps you can take to reduce the risk of your toaster setting itself ablaze. We share our top tips to keep your kitchen safe from fires caused by toaster ovens.
- Keep it clean – Make sure to clean up any crumbs and clean it off regularly.
- Turn it Off – With today’s hectic lifestyles, many people forget to turn off their appliances after using them for a long time.
- Choose the correct setting – There are reasons your toaster may have different settings. Heating it for the right time will not only be delicious, but will also reduce the likelihood of it flaming.
- Check for damage – If you notice any signs of trouble with your toaster such as black spots or discolored wires, immediately turn it off.
- Replace it – The average life expectancy of a toaster oven is 6-8 years. It is important to replace your appliance as soon as it begins to age.
How often do you need to clean your toaster?
Proper maintenance is the best way to avoid a toaster flame. Toaster should be cleaned once a week to ensure it lasts for a longer time than expected. It is not a good idea to put your house at risk by using a defective appliance.
Why is my toaster is smoking?
It doesn’t necessarily mean that your toaster is smoking. Smoke could come from dust, oil, grease, or a new toaster. If your toaster smokes, don’t panic. The best way to get rid all the smoke is to let it burn off.
What to do when a toaster sets on fire? These are the 4 steps
If you don’t have any prevention strategies, you might find yourself in a situation where a toaster is on fire. What do you do if your toaster is on fire?
- First, unplug the toaster. It is important to turn off any power before you put out flames. This will prevent them spreading to other surfaces and rekindling.
- To cover the fire, use either a fire blanket or a fire extinguisher to stop oxygen from causing it to grow. Use a fire extinguisher to spray the flames until they are extinguished. If using a blanket, cover any flames that remain with the blanket. Smothering the flames is a good idea. They should not be fanned as this will only make them grow.
- To prevent electric appliances from overheating or sparking another fire, turn off the electricity near while you are putting out the original.
- After the fire is out, open a window to ventilate. Also, remove any items from the area. This will prevent hot spots in your kitchen.
Be calm and leave the house immediately if the fire spreads.
What makes toaster ovens so hot?
Food particles and crumbs can build up at the oven’s base, where the heating element is. This could cause them to catch fire and ignite. Toaster ovens that are left unattended for too long or heated up too much can cause them to catch fire. These foods are a fire hazard because they are close to flammable substances.
How to prevent a toaster oven fire?
To prevent bacterial growth, it’s essential that your appliance’s interior is clean and neat. This will ensure food items are safe. Keep an eye out for crumbs and drips on metal surfaces such as grills or racks to maintain the balance. You can use removable parts like trays or racking systems to make cleaning up difficult areas, especially at higher levels.
Are you ready to experience a toaster oven fire?
Toaster ovens can be different than toasters. However, if yours starts to catch fire, you should follow the same steps as for a toaster. Turn off all appliances which may have sparked, and cover it with a fire extinguisher/fire blanket.
How to clean a toaster after a fire?
Turn off the toaster completely before cleaning or repairing it. While the toaster is still warm, gently remove any crumbs and debris. To get rid of any crumbs or debris that you can’t reach with your hands, use a vacuum attachment. Or use an old toothbrush. Use vinegar and water to clean all parts.
It can be frightening and stressful to have a fire in your kitchen. You may be left wondering what to do after the fire has gone out. We can help. The 911 Restoration of Mesa team is available 24/7 and has a range of powerful tools that will quickly restore your home to its original condition.